The Environmental Fellows Program as the following components:
- a paid, 12-week internship (May-August)
- Students are usually placed in mainstream environmental organizations, nonprofits, social justice organizations, philanthropic organizations, environmental media outlets, policy think tanks, governmental institutions, or grassroots environmental organizations.
- a five-day orientation at the University of Michigan (late May)
- NEW this year! A three-day, all Fellow, mid-summer skills workshop at the University of Michigan
- attendance to the Environmental Grantmakers Association’s annual Fall retreat (late September)
After completing the program, alumni are invited to attend the New Horizons in Conservation Conference. This annual conference is held in late April in places like Washington, D.C. and Chicago.
To learn about what past scholars have done by reading their internship reflections:
Accepted students will receive a base stipend of $11,000 paid in regular disbursements throughout the summer, as well as a small travel award for travel required as part of the fellowship. Travel to the Environmental Grantmakers Fall Retreat will be covered by the Environmental Fellows Program and EGA partnership.
During the fellowship, host site mentors will meet regularly with fellows to discuss work progress. Over the course of the program, fellows are expected to:
- complete the pre- and post-program evaluations,
- produce biweekly journal entries,
- write blog posts,
- conduct at least one informational interview,
- participate in program webinars,
- fulfill the requirements of their host sites,
- write a short paragraph for the EGA Journal,
- participate and engage in the EGA Fall Retreat.
2020 Application Dates:
- November 1, 2019 – Applications open
- February 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time – Applications close
- March 2020 – Notifications and preliminary interviews
- April 2020 – Final organization match
2020 Program Dates:
- May 9 – 13, 2020 – Orientation at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- May 1 – August 31, 2020 – Internship
- July 9 – 12, 2020 – All fellow mid-summer meet up and skills workshop University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- October 3 – 7, 2020 – Environmental Grantmakers Association Fall Retreat, Chicago, Illinois